Search This Blog

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Catch “Stingray Sam” Sunday

I didn’t think I’d like “Stingray Sam.” I’m not crazy about sci-fi or westerns. But I saw a trailer for it a month ago and yesterday, just had to peek inside the theater to see what it was like. Turns out that it’s stylish and goofy at the same time, with hip gags and a black-and-white high-contrast look that was hard to tear myself away from.

I stayed longer than I meant to, and would have stayed longer still if I hadn't been so determined to see “Funny Bones” (see below), which played the same time. The good news is “Stingray Sam” repeats today (Sunday) at one of the festival’s remote locations – the University of Baltimore Student Center. You can get there via shuttle from the festival’s main site at the Charles Theater.

Video Americain, by the way, carries director Cory McAbee's earlier film, "The American Astronaut."

No comments: