Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mothers' Day for film-loving moms

This festival always falls on Mothers' Day weekend. There's good and bad in that, so embrace the good. The closing night film is Mother and Child, but that's sold out. I'm sure you'll have a chance to see it when it is released widely, which isn't the case for a lot of other films at this festival.

There are a few screenings here that you could take a child to, as long as you're not too uptight about the content. I could have taken my 12-year-old to the Animated Shorts program I saw last night, and it screens again today at 4 p.m. I would call it PG-13, although no films here are rated.

Music by Prudence, which won best documentary at this year's Academy Awards and has a strong local connection, shows at 5 p.m., but be prepared for that to be sold out.

(See the Film Guide for information on these films.)

Earthling would appeal to teens and moms who love alien body-invasion sci-fi. I got to see only the trailer, and it looks intense.

Putty Hill would appeal to anyone -- the multi-generational tale has 15-year-olds front and center, but the most moving moment in the film for me was between the mother and grandmother of the character whose death brings together his family and friends. I saw it Friday, and it was only the second film in 12 years of the festival that brought tears to my eyes.

I did, in fact, bring my son this morning to the Alloy Orchestra accompaniment to the 1927 silent film Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness. He grumbled, but I know he got a lot out of it. We sat right in front of the musicians so he could watch them play. Otherwise, it's easy to forget they're there playing along; the music so perfectly complements the film.

Michael Sragow, film critic for The Baltimore Sun, hosted the screening and gave some terrific background information on the film, which is a fictionalized depiction using the real jungle and wild animals. Filmmakers Merrian C. Cooper and Ernest Schoedsack made King Kong a few years later in 1933.

No comments: