Search This Blog

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Economics, Film and Civilization

I had to leave the screening of “I.O.U.S.A.” early, which I regret. I will see the finished film when it shows up in theaters in August. I stayed for much longer than I meant to, at the expense of sending you these posts in a timely manner. Sometimes it’s tempting to just keep going to the movies.

The film about our national debt makes it clear that this most US citizens are economics-illiterate. I also went this morning to see “Bamako,” a feature film that illustrates how Mali and other African countries have become so impoverished. I couldn’t help wondering what the US will be like in 50 years.

The directors of "Hoop Dreams" were in attendance, and "I.O.U.S.A." director Patrick Creadon told the audience that documentary opened up a whole new world for him. Creadon, by the way, also directed "Wordplay." So even if you can't catch "I.O.U.S.A." until it is released in August, you can take the opportunity to rent "Hoop Dreams," which is one of the best documentaries ever made. There's an economic angle in "Hoop Dreams," too: The subjects are inner-city Chicago students hoping that a basketball scholarship will be their ticket to college, and a better life.

No comments: