Search This Blog

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Friendship break-ups

If you find the all-too-rarely explored topic of friendship break-up interesting, note that two films at this year's MFF explore that. One is "My Effortless Brilliance," about two men, but I couldn't get into that one during the unfairly short time I had to watch it.

I found "Yeast," about three female friends, much more riveting. It's emotionally intense, with unpleasant characters -- not for everyone. As for me, I had to leave after the first 20 minutes or so yesterday -- ONLY because I had to get to the screening of "Waiting for Hockney," but I plan to catch the rest of "Yeast" during the final screening at 4:30 p.m. today.

I had the benefit of interviewing "Yeast" director Mary Bronstein just now, and I'll be posting more later on how she was inspired to make "Yeast," and her insight into whether the "mumblecore" label hurts or helps the films that get tagged with it.
Link to Bronstein's myspace page to learn more about the movie.

No comments: