Search This Blog

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Where else would a conversation like this start up?

The line to get into the closing night film was already pretty long when I arrived, and it wasn't moving. I decided to make a few notes because of something John Waters said Friday night when he introduced "Story of Women," which is a movie about abortion. As was "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days," released earlier this year.

"It's practically a trend," Waters said. "Maybe we should have an abortion film festival."

I'm not planning a festival, but I did start making notes on other films in which the issue, or a particular abortion, are a critical element.

The man behind me in line said, "I'm not trying to read your notes, but I couldn't help noticing ..." And he offered up "Vera Drake," starring Imelda Staunton.

It was Christopher Reed, assistant professor of film and video at Villa Julie College.

We came up with a few more abortion films, and then passed the time (the wait ended up being an hour) thinking of the best female-friendship films, which I had been thinking about since seeing "Yeast" at the festival. He noted that "4 Months ..." is also a study of female friendship.

No comments: