Search This Blog

Saturday, May 3, 2008

"Waiting for Hockney"


These detail images are of Marilyn Monroe's lips and neck and hair, from the drawing at the heart of the documentary "Waiting for Hockney." The film screened Saturday afternoon, and by today, it's back at the Tribeca Film Festival for an encore screening. The bonus was that in addition to seeing this compelling film about a local artist -- Billy Pappas -- the audience yesterday got to see the actual drawing. I have to admit that during the film, I was more taken with Billy's artistic drive than with the drawing itself. But when I saw the drawing afterward, using the magnifying glass provided, I was enthralled. I could see the kinds of tiny folds in her eyelid. I could have looked for much longer, but there was a line that snaked all the way across the atrium and down the stairs to the theater, in the Brown Center at MICA. I had to wait in line for about 20 minutes myself. It was like years ago when I visited the Louvre and saw the line to view the Mona Lisa.

No comments: